Prosecutors on Thursday alleged with DNA evidence and regulation enforcement testimony that Letecia Stauch murdered her stepson Gannon Stauch.
The El Paso County girl is accused of killing her 11-yr-previous stepson, Gannon, and faces charges which include initial-diploma murder. During Thursday’s preliminary listening to, prosecutors, including District Lawyer Michael Allen, laid out evidence for the circumstance.
– Back from recess, Sgt. Rosario Hubbell with the El Paso County Sherriff is on the stand. He is testifying that Stauch took two photographs of Gannon asleep in mattress on the morning he went lacking.
– Blankets and the pillow on the mattress in the shots seem to match bedding located with Gannon’s entire body in Florida, Hubbell testified.
– Investigators discovered proof of blood splatter marks on the wall subsequent to Gannon’s mattress, Hubbell claimed. In the corner of the room there was a stain that experienced been cleaned, but the stain went via the carpet onto the cement underneath. The stain was Gannon’s blood, Hubbell stated.
– Law enforcement examined a stain on Gannon’s mattress. The test uncovered the stain was brought on by Gannon’s blood.
– Investigators located a handgun that experienced Stauch’s DNA on it on top of a dresser in the master bed room she slept in, Hubbell testified.
– A firearms professional believed the gun discovered on the nightstand was used to shoot Gannon because the bullet found in his head was constant with the ammunition made use of in the weapon, Hubbell claimed.
– Through cross assessment, Hubbell reported there have been two male DNA matches on the gun in addition to Stauch’s.
– Protection attorneys drew interest to feasible contamination of the alleged crime scene when Hubbell touched some of the carpet in the area with his ungloved hand. Hubbell said he documented the contamination because it could affect DNA tests.
– Andrew Cohen of the FBI is now on the stand. He testified that only Stauch was house when Gannon is believed to have died.
– All through cross assessment, protection lawyer Josh Tolini is looking for to solid doubt on Stauch’s involvement. He said the back again door of the household was opened and closed 10 situations close to the time Gannon died. Cohen says he does not know who arrived in and out of the doorway.
SUMMARY OF Morning TESTIMONY
Prosecutors on Thursday alleged with DNA evidence and law enforcement testimony that an El Paso County woman murdered her stepson.
Letecia Stauch is accused of killing her 11-calendar year-aged stepson, Gannon, and faces prices including initial-diploma murder. In the course of Thursday’s listening to, prosecutors, together with District Legal professional Michael Allen, laid out evidence for the scenario.
The court docket read testimony from numerous regulation enforcement officials who mentioned Gannon’s blood was uncovered on and close to his bed, Stauch’s DNA was discovered on a weapon connected to the death and Stauch traveled to an spot around in which Gannon’s human body was later identified.
Fourth Judicial District Choose Gregory Werner dominated that Stauch will continue to be held without bail at minimum till a Sept. 23 listening to connected to accusations she tried using to escape from jail.
A Florida professional medical examiner established Gannon had a gunshot wound to his jaw, a cranium fracture, a stab wound in his again and one more in his upper body, mentioned Sgt. Jason Yoder of the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office in Florida.
A bullet was observed in Gannon’s head and two much more were being recovered from his pillowcase, investigators mentioned. A weapons specialist established individuals bullets matched the variety of ammunition applied in a gun discovered on the nightstand in Stauch’s bed room, Sgt. Rosario Hubbell of the El Paso County Sheriff’s place of work claimed. The gun experienced Stauch’s DNA on it, but also the DNA of at the very least two other individuals, Hubbell mentioned.
On the early morning investigators think Gannon was killed, Stauch took two photographs of him lying in bed, Hubbell reported. The bedding in those people photographs appears to be the exact as bedding discovered with Gannon’s entire body when it was recovered from inside of a suitcase that appeared to have been thrown off a Florida bridge, investigators reported.
Investigators found a blood stain on Gannon’s mattress, blood spatter on the wall close by and a huge blood stain on the flooring, Hubbell mentioned. The carpet by itself appeared to have been cleaned, he claimed, but the concrete underneath the carpet was stained. DNA analysis executed on the blood samples connected them to Gannon, he claimed. Some of Gannon’s blood was also found on Stauch’s shoe.
An additional legislation enforcement official, Kevin Clark, walked by means of place facts that showed Leticia Stauch drove to Florida shortly after Gannon went missing and stayed in a lodge just 3 miles from where by the entire body was uncovered.
More spot details led Colorado investigators to an area off of Highway 105 north of Palmer Lake, wherever Stauch appeared to have parked her car or truck on multiple events. In that region, investigators observed a board with blood on it that they decided belonged to Gannon, said El Paso County Sheriff’s Office environment Deputy John Sarkisian.
A purple liquid was discovered on the flooring of the garage at the property in the Lorson Ranch neighborhood of El Paso County where by Stauch and Gannon lived, said Sgt. Patrick Younkin with the El Paso County Sheriff’s place of work. Younkin claimed he did not see proof of violence in Gannon’s bedroom.
Defense attorneys sought to make doubt that Stauch fully commited the murder by suggesting that another person else could have entered the household all over the time Gannon died, and sought to tie property stability info with the unfamiliar DNA on the gun investigators located.
But FBI agent Andrew Cohen testified that Stauch was the only human being investigators believe could have dedicated the murder.
“I haven’t seen any proof of any individual else coming into the property,” Cohen stated.
The look for for Gannon turned up proof indicating he was attacked with a knife or other weapon even though in bed, authorities beforehand reported. Stauch, who had publicly denied involvement in the boy’s disappearance, was arrested last calendar year in Myrtle Beach front, S.C.
Thursday’s hearing experienced been delayed on multiple occasions, as Stauch moved to protect herself in courtroom. A judge afterwards appointed a defense attorney to stand for her. The demo was even more delayed by two competency evaluations, which eventually determined Stauch was in shape to stand demo.
Stauch was not present in the courtroom Thursday. She waived her right to surface in court soon after a back again-and-forth with Choose Gregory Werner. “I have confidence in my defense counsel,” she explained by way of a online video feed from El Paso County jail.